Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Indian Style Veggies and Rice

Indian-Style Vegetables and Rice

I used to think that I didn't like curry.  I have since expanded my horizons and know there is a time when curry is just the thing to warm up a cold rainy day.  This was my first attempt at Indian Food and I must say I thought it was great.  Jeff thought is was good he wanted to eat it all himself.  Brian thought it neither looked nor smelled good so I'm not sure if he even tried it.  Warning: the kitchen smelled like curry the whole next day.  Or maybe that was because Jeff had two more bowls finishing off the leftovers.  This recipe is from a cookbook called Vegetarian Easy Dinners that I picked up at a garage sale.  This is a beautiful golden color full of veggies.  It warms you up from the inside out. 

Ingredients:
Rice (the recipe calls for brown, I used white)
1 large red onion, cut into thick wedges
2 cloves garlic
3/4 cup water (I ended up adding more)
1/2 cup apple juice
2 medium potatos, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 carrot, cut into slices
2 T soy sauce
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ginger (they wanted fresh, I used dried)
1/2 tsp. cardamom (I didn't have this so I skipped it)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups cauliflower
1 medium zucchini, cut into slices
1 cup frozen peas

1.  Coat a large pot with nonstick cooking spray.  Preheat over medium high heat.  Add onion and garlic, cook and stir until onion is tender.
2.  Add water, apple juice, potatoes, carrot, soy sauce, curry, ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 min or until potatoes can be pierced easily.
3.  Add the cauliflower, zucchini, peas.
4.  Serve with rice.

- Shannon


No comments:

Post a Comment